The gift giving season is here! It’s fun. It’s festive. But if we’re not careful, we’ll clutter up our homes (and the homes of our loved ones) with stuff we don’t need or want.
One way to simplify gift giving this year is to be organized and deliberate when it comes to giving gifts to our friends and family. The same is true when it comes to receiving gifts from our loved ones.
That’s why I think it’s a good idea to keep an ongoing list of needs/wants throughout the year (for yourself and for your family).
I like to organize gift options using Amazon Wish Lists.
- I have one for myself.
- My husband has one.
- Each of our kids has one.
- Plus I have a separate wish list to keep track of gifts we want to give to our friends and family.
I use the Amazon wish list to simplify gift giving.
The Amazon Wish List works great for several reasons:
- Placing items on a wish lists curbs want-itis. It slows down your personal buying process because you want to have a diverse list to give others. It also helps determine what could be impulse purchases because you might find yourself deleting items from the list months later.
- It’s EASY. One click of a button will add an item to your wish list. You can even add links to items not found on Amazon.
- You can share all your wants/needs with family with one simple link. They’ll like it because they can easily choose items based on their budget and they can all be shipped right to their door!
- Once an item from your wish list is purchased, everyone with access will be notified. That means no duplicate gifts…which means no standing in the return line the day after Christmas!
In case you aren’t familiar with Amazon Wish Lists, here’s how to set one up.
1. Go to Amazon.com.
2. Click “Wish List” in the top right hand corner.
3. Click “Create a Wish List.”
4. Rename your wish list. Preferably something obvious like “Your Name Wish List” to make it easy for your family.
5. Repeat steps 3-4 if you want to create another wish list for your kids, spouse, etc.
6. Repeat steps 3-4 to create a “to buy” wish list.
- This makes it EASY to keep track of what you’re buying your own family.
- It makes it EASY to stay within budget.
- AND you will most likely get free shipping since buying multiple items at the same time will most likely be over the $25 dollar free shipping limit.
However, you could always sign up for a free trial of Amazon Prime to get free shipping for 30 days.
7. Fill your wish list with USEFUL items and be ready to share with family as soon as they ask!! Just click, “Share with friends” and send a link.
I know many of you already use Amazon but I am amazed at how many people I talk to that don’t know anything about it. You may already have a process that you love when sending Christmas lists and buying gifts. But, if not, using the Wish List feature on Amazon makes the gift-giving season simple!
Here’s to a SIMPLE gift giving season!