Do One Thing is a new series on iDreamofClean that will hopefully inspire you to accomplish one thing each week that you’ve been postponing. Last week we talked briefly about being overwhelmed. And boy have I been there! Have you? When you’re feeling overwhelmed it’s often difficult to even know where to begin! So, today we’re going to start. We’ll begin by utilizing one simple tool: Your Calendar.
First, think of a task or project that you’ve been avoiding.
It can be anything. Returning a phone call. Cleaning out the garage. Going through your junk drawer. Making your grocery list. It can be anything really…big or small.
Next, break it down into the smallest task possible.
What is the first thing you need to do to accomplish that task.
- If it’s returning a phone call…do you have the phone number? What do you need to do to find the number? Email someone? Look it up? Put the number in your cell phone so you can make the call at a more appropriate time?
- If it’s cleaning out the garage…figure out the easiest thing you can do to begin making progress. Don’t look at the task as one that would take an entire week of vacation. Determine how you can make progress in 5 minute increments. Can you spend 5 minutes dumping trash into the trash can? Can you spend 5 minutes gathering items to take to the donation center? How about taking 5 minutes putting tools back into the toolbox?
- If you need to make a grocery list…gather the appropriate materials (pen, paper, iPhone app, etc.). Figure out where you need to be…the kitchen? the computer to look for sales online? anywhere as long as you have something to take notes?
You get the idea so I won’t elaborate on the other examples.
Next, determine when the best time would be to complete that task.
- If you need to make a phone call…figure out the most appropriate time to make the call (business hours, at your desk, walking at the park, after the kids have gone to bed, etc.).
- If you want to clean out the garage…can you spend 5 minutes on it as soon as you get home, before you even walk into the house?
- If you need to make your grocery list…can you do it right now? Do you need to wait for some reason?
Finally, put it on your calendar.
Determine when you have time this week to accomplish the task you chose and put it on your calendar right now! Yes, Now! I’ll wait….
Now, I’d love to hear what task you chose and when you are planning to do it. Let me know in the comments…I may just check in on you!