How does your closet look? Are clothes thrown all over the floor? Shoes scattered about? Too many items shoved in a tight space? Well, let’s change that and conquer your messy closet today!
Don’t be overwhelmed. You don’t have to transform a disastrous closet into one that’s picture perfect. Just take it one step at a time. If you need to complete step 1 but only have a few minutes, work on step 1 and then stop. If you have extra time, move to the next step. If you have steps 1-3 under control, then start with step 4.
Remember, this is for you and no one else. If you’re one step closer to a clean and organized home by spending a few minutes on your closet, then you’ve succeeded!
Baby Steps to a Clean and Organized Closet
1. If you have clothes on the floor of your closet, hang them up. Depending on your circumstance, this step may be a breeze!
2. When your clothes are in place, tackle your shoes. Are they nicely organized? Do they need to be cleaned or repaired?
3. Once clothing and shoes are nicely in your closet, remove items that don’t belong. Are you using your clothes closet as a mini storage unit? Are you stashing things in your closet because you don’t know where else to put them? Does that mean you can give them away?
4. Everything is in it’s place now, but is your closet too crowded? If so, it’s time to get rid of items you don’t need. Ask yourself the following questions as you streamline:
- Is it a duplicate? Do I really need 5 black shirts?
- Does it fit properly? Does it hang too low? Is it too small? Too big? Too long? Too short?
- Do I have anything to wear with it? If not, how long have I had it? Will I really every buy a complimentary piece?
- Do I even like it? Do I like it enough to wear it often?
- Do I feel GREAT in it? Or is it just so-so?
If it doesn’t fit or make you feel great wearing it, then get rid of it. Put it in a box and take it to the nearest donation center. Be brave…I know you can do it!
5. Now it’s time to rework your closet so it looks and feel organized. Most stylists recommend organizing a closet one of two ways. By color or by type.
- Organize clothes by color. Hang pants, shirts, skirts, sweaters, basically everything, by color. You’ll be able to visually recognize the colors you like best and notice if you’re lacking certain pops of color.
- Organize clothes by type. Hang all of your pants together, shirts together, sweaters together, dresses together, and skirts together. Then organize each group by color.
6. Fancify your closet. Okay, this step is totally optional! But, if you’re super organized and your closet is looking great, then maybe you want to dress it up a bit. Could you use a little splash of color on the wall? How about a mirror? Organizing bins? Chandelier? My friend has a chandelier in her closet and it is adorable!! One day I might just copy her and do the same! Anyway, fancifying your closet in no way makes you more organized. It just makes it more fun!
Your assignment for today:
- Continue working on habit #1.
- Straighten, organize, and conquer your closet!
I’d love to hear from you! How does your closet look right now? Which step would you like to complete today?