Throughout the year we’ll be tackling entire rooms of the house as well as overall household chores (some seasonal, some not). For the next few days, however, our daily tasks will be centered around the areas of the house we use most often.
We cleaned and organized the nightstand yesterday because there’s something calming about laying in bed without chaos surrounding us. Today we’re going to focus on an area we use when we wake up – the refrigerator.
You may open up cabinets a couple times a day, but the refrigerator is a different story. It seems like the fridge is opened ten times an hour (at least in my house!). Looking for something to eat in a messy refrigerator can put a damper on your tastebuds. But a clean fridge, that’s a different story!
When you can see fresh fruit and vegetables, they are less likely to waste away in the back. When you can easily find ingredients, cooking is less of a chore. So today, let’s clean up that refrigerator!
Clean and organize the refrigerator:
- Take everything out of the refrigerator…even food and condiments in the drawers and doors. Trash anything that has spoiled. Condense containers when possible.
- Wipe down shelving and walls of your refrigerator with an all-purpose cleaner (*see note about this below).
- Determine if rearranging the shelving would make your fridge more functional. I adjusted our refrigerator shelves recently and it made a huge difference!
- Replace food categorically. Try to keep fruits and veggies together, drinks on one shelf, leftovers in the same area, etc.
- Wipe down the outside of your fridge if you have time.
*Clean refrigerator shelving quickly and easily.
Here’s the deal. I buy most of our meat, fruits and veggies from a weekly CSA and I mostly cook from scratch. Since switching to fresh fruits and vegetables our fridge is a disaster zone. Onion skins easily fall off. Leafy greens leave remnants behind. Defrosting meat in the refrigerator will leave pools of liquid on the shelves (even when in a bowl).
I clean the refrigerator often but it gets dirty in a hurry. Since my fridge is probably messier than 99.9% of you, I cleaned it yesterday so I could show you a picture of how I do it quickly and easily.
I put a removable shelving in the bathtub to clean. Now let me preface this by saying we have two bathrooms and we only use one. So, this bathtub is uber clean.
But I just run a bit of cold water, squeeze some dish liquid in, and scrub away. After cleaning one piece, I dry and then install back in the fridge. Then repeat.
It’s extremely efficient, especially when compared to washing them in a small(ish) kitchen sink.
So, if your fridge needs some scrubbing instead of just wiping down, give it a whirl in the bathtub. It took me less than 15 minutes start to finish!
Your assignment for today:
- Continue working on habit #1.
- Clean and organize your refrigerator.
Set a timer and clean your refrigerator until the buzzer goes off. Let me know when you’ve completed day 3!